I write here in bursts. It confounds me as to what marks the beginning and end of those spikes. I have a few hunches:
- ambitions grow larger than my free time: it’s easier to hit publish on a self-contained thought than a connected series or magnum-opus essay
- intervention of life: work, vacation, various chores adults are expected to perform
- self-distraction: acting as a novelty junky rather than pushing one thing through to completion
- tweeting less: putting little thoughts into tweets means I’m driven to put slighly-not-little thoughts into blog posts
- reading less: reading interesting things drives me to (attempt to) write interesting things
- skipping record: I worry I’ve already had this thought and published it somewhere
Also sometimes I’m not quite sure how to end a thought like this and I wonder if I should worry about that and then I decide to let it slide.